History of the Faculty of Economics and Business Library:
The Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB) Library is a supporting unit for academic activities within the Faculty of Economics and Business. Currently, the Library occupies three floors located in the FEB Universitas Gadjah Mada (UGM) Learning Center building.
The Faculty of Economics (FE) Library was established in 1955, the same year with the establishment of the Faculty of Economics. In the early years, the FE Library was directed by Prof. Dr. Sukadji Ranuwiharjo, M.A. until the 1960s. At that time, the FE collaborated with the University of Wisconsin, the USA, resulting the provision of support and assistance in teaching staff and books for the Library as student learning materials.
In addition, to support the development of library collections, the Library also received assistance from lecturers in the FE as well as the Rockefeller Foundation. In the mid 1960’s, Dra. Savitri-Soeharto, MA, returned from the USA after completing her Master’s Degree in the field of Library Studies, and in 1966 she was appointed as the head of the Library until 1974.
In 1975, she was asked to become the head of the UGM Library (Main Library) so that the leadership was handed over to Drs. Widodo until 1983. In 1983, Drs. Widodo was also joined UGM Library so that the leadership of the Library of the Faculty of Economics was replaced by Dra. Murianti Pranowo, M.L.S until 1986. After Dra. Murianti Pranowo, M.L.S. moved to the Main Library as the head, the Library of the Faculty of Economics was led by Retnowati until 1996. During the leadership of Retnowati, the location of the Library was moved from the central building to Jalan Humaniora after the Faculty of Economics occupies a new location in 1989.
In 1996, the leadership of the Library of the Faculty of Economics was replaced by Drs. FX. Muljono, M.Sc., until 2005. Two years later in 2007, Kusdhianto Setiawan, S.E., Siv. Oek served as the head. During the leadership of Kusdhianto Setiawan, the Library of the Faculty of Economics was changed its name to the Faculty of Economics and Business along with the changing name from the Faculty of Economics into the Faculty of Economics and Business. From 2008 to 2013, Arif Surachman, S.IP., MBA became the head of the Library and since April 2013 the Library has been under the leadership of Maryatun, S.E., M.A.
Since the establishment of the Faculty of Economics and Business, the Library has experienced a significant change of leadership, both taken from professional librarians and from teaching staff (lecturers), namely:
- Dr. Sukadji Ranuwihardjo, M.A. (1955 -1960s)
- Savitri-Soeharto, M.A. (1966 -1974)
- Widodo (1975 – 1983)
- Murianti Pranowo, M.L.S. (1983 -1986)
- Retnowati (1986 – 1996)
- FX. Mulyono, M.Si. (1996 – 2005)
- Kusdhianto Setiawan, S.E., Siv. Oek. (2005 – 2008)
- Arif Surachman, S.IP., MBA (2008 – 2013)
- Maryatun, S.E., M.A. (2013 – presents)
The leadership of the library predecessors has led to the development of the FEB Library to support academic activities more efficiently and updated. Some of the important notable activities by the FEB Library were:
- Becoming the Center for Services for Economics for Indonesian Higher Education Libraries in around 1970s to 1990s
- Contributing bibliographic data regularly as materials for the main catalogue of magazines issued by PDII-LIPI Jakarta
- Participating as an active member of the Yogyakarta BKKBN (national family planning coordination agency) information network
In addition, 2 out of 8 heads of the FEB Library were noted to have served as heads of the Main Library, namely Dra. Savitri-Soeharto, M.A (1975-1985) and Dra. Murianti Pranowo, M.L.S. (1988-1997).
The printed collection of the FEB Library has reached more than 19,000 copies in the form of text books, journals, magazines, and research works. Since 2006 the FEB Library has pioneered digital collections packaged in CD/DVD ROM media. Even since 2008, the FEB Library has been able to display research collections in digital format via the Library website. In the same year, the printed collection of research results has also been completely replaced in a digital form.
The FEB Library provides facilities using information technology including:
- Computer to access the Online Access Public Catalog (OPAC)
- Computer to access electronic journals and Internet
- Computer to access digital thesis collections
- Wifi/Hotspot area for laptop/notebook users
- Online Public Access Catalog (OPAC) which can be accessed via http://opac.lib.ugm.ac.id or http://academics.feb.ugm.ac.id/lib for browsing the collections of the FEB Library.
- Digital Library Application for Web-Based Digital Honour Papers/Theses
- Web-Based Library Information System Software
- Security System such as Gate Detector from 3M and Censormatic, Network Camera and RFID Gate.
- The Library website that can be accessed via http://lib.feb.ugm.ac.id.
Library membership showed changes from time to time, mainly due to the development of membership regulations. Members of the Library consist of all students and academics within the Faculty of Economics and Business, students and academics at Universitas Gadjah Mada, alumni, masters/doctoral students from outside Universitas Gadjah Mada as well as members from agencies, institutions or organisations.
Several financial statement or report databases can be accessed through the Library, including: Thompson Reuters, CEIC, and Osiris. In addition, the FEB also subscribes to electronic textbooks from Pearson publishers that have been integrated with Learning Management Systems.